Thursday, January 8, 2009

Why the robot?

A lot of people ask me why the robot. If it has some special significance or something. Most of the time I just joke around turn around robotic style and creep them out for a minute before I turn back to the screen and continue photoshopping.

But in reality, the robot signifies more to me then that.

As a socially awkward person I have this tendency to watch the world with foreign eyes, I love the way people embarrass when they take some joke to that too familiar place, the way they try so hard to bring back the Reebok hightop sneaker, or insist on some form of specific flavored Dorito despite the fact that they all taste the same. I love the way people quirk. And so because of this, I find myself watching and waiting for their next moment, finding glee in the statements you can take out of context to mean an entirely different thing or just taken out of context because certain sentences should be repeated just to realize that they were said, and this curiosity... it's infinite. 

That need for more information about people, thats what robots do. Because in the end, they want to figure out the magic; the "why's" on human behavior. I think robots are fascinating, adorable little things. And I can relate to their need to know why, their fascination of the human being. Leo Bruscaglia, a speaker and author in the 1980s, once said that every person in the world hugs different, so why not try them all. And I can only agree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment